The capacity building action of APPRAIS includes, after the cycle of in-presence training, a Massive Open Online course. The APPRAIS MOOC is part of the process of empowering Kurdish universities to implement the Bologna Process and set the basis for the definition of their own institutional strategic plans.
The course is composed of six modules, which explore different aspects related to governance, the design of the study programs (learning outcomes, student workload, and the European Credit Transfer System), recognition of credits, learning mobility, and internal and external quality assurance. All the European partners, under the overall guidance of the WP4 coordinator, University of Murcia, and the co-leader, University of Zakho, contribute to the MOOC by sharing their own experience, good practices, and knowledge, providing an overall view about the principles of the Bologna Process as it was implemented in their HEIs.
After the piloting phase involving the Kurdish partner universities and Ministerial staff, the course will be openly accessible to learners in different formats and platforms. The MOOC enhances and multiplies the training effect of the project, it will be used as a teaching tool for the local trainings of academic and administrative staff at Kurdish Partner universities, and it is a training resource for other staff members at Kurdish HEIs not part of the Consortium.
MOOC materials are available in English.
For the local training, some of the training resources are also available in Kurdish.
The MOOC is designed for the academic and administrative staff of the Kurdish universities partners in the project, specifically those involved in the governance and implementation of the Bologna Process.
Participants in the MOOC from Partners are:
- University Presidents
- Vice-president for Scientific affairs and Vice-president for Students affairs
- Director of the Quality Assurance Office/Programme development, and office team members
- Director of the International Relationship Office and team members, preferably in charge of Erasmus+ programme
- Members of the Bologna Process Committee
- Dean of college involved in Bologna process implementation
- Heads of Departments involved in Bologna process implementation
- Members from the Department Scientific Committee (i.e. senior lecturers)
- Staff at the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in KRG, specifically responsible for Quality Assurance, Bologna Process implementation, governance and strategic planning
Teaching method and course delivery
The full training was delivered from December 2022 (general introduction of the MOOC) until March 2023. The MOOC is designed for a total duration of 10 weeks: 15 hours of synchronous learning and 60 hours of self-learning.
The online training was hosted in the online training platform of UNIMED available here:
The MOOC was delivered in subsequent steps. For details on the course delivery please learn more here. Each module has been designed with a blended methodology, with synchronous sessions and resources for self-learning. The MOOC is planned with the following activities:
1. Welcome and online presentation of the MOOC
2. Synchronous lessons: A cycle of training webinars (once a week)
3. Complementary materials (activities, reading, video, link to web pages, etc.)
4. Online Conversations
The general aim of the APPRAIS MOOC is to provide training modules on selected topics related to the definition and implementation of the Bologna Process, drawing from the examples of Europen universities to implement changes in Kurdish universities. Specifically, once the MOOC is completed, Kurdish staff members will be able:
- To know the governance procedures in the EU universities
- To know how to perform strategic planning at the university level
- To know how the Bologna process is / can be implemented in universities
- To Identify the European Qualifications Framework and use ECTS
- To describe the Learning Outcomes of study programs
- To implement External and Internal Quality Assurance practices
- To implement learning mobility and design procedures to promote internationalization
A certificate will be delivered to all participants who completed the MOOC.